Check out these best kitchen design images:
Chippenham Park is a large country house with substantial gardens, lakes, woodlands walks and parkland dating back to the 17th Century. The spectacular gardens are open to the public several times a year from Spring through to Autumn.
The Park is also available for weddings, special events and photographic shoots.
The gardens received a top, two-star rating in the Good Gardens Guide 2010, placing them amongst the finest gardens in the country.
14th October Glorious Autumn colours and late colour in the borders. Famously delicious BBQ, Teas, Cakes and refreshments.
Chippenham Park was created at the very end of the 17th century as an ‘Anglo-Dutch’ designed landscape comprising canals, park, and formal gardens.
It was subsequently informalised by 18th and 19th century designers including William Eames and Samuel Lappidge. Chippenham Park contains a wealth of earthworks and waterways which relate to the parkland and garden landscapes and to the village settlement which pre-dated the park.
Features that have remained surprisingly static through history include the walled kitchen garden, the formal waterway on the east side of the park; and complex waterways south of the kitchen garden. Some of the trees, including those marking the original drive from the west.
The Gardens Now…
When Anne Crawely moved to the Chippenham Park estate in 1985 she immediately set about restoring and expanding what had once been a great garden.
There is now possibly the greatest display of snowdrops and aconites in East Anglia and the Spring Garden with its breath-taking display of daffodils, narcissi and shrubs stretches for half a mile around the lake. Additionally there are recently restored and cleared great canals created in the 18th century.
The summer garden has a huge display of nearly 500 roses and a generously stocked ‘Long Border’ of perennials and shrubs of about 250 metres in length. The ‘Wilderness’ is a wooded walk full of fascinating berrying trees and shrubs, some quite rare which has interest all year round.
Most recently she has created from dereliction a contemporary, formal garden in the old kitchen garden. This bold garden makes use of pleached pears, beech hedging, yew and lawn as well as a massive arched colonnade of leylandii to divide the 5-acre walled garden. The four quads feature large terracotta jars of Spanish and Greek origin set amongst grasses, a large earthwork mound and a theatre of yew.
At the North end of this garden is a substantial and beautiful house created from the old 18th century head gardener’s cottage and glasshouses.
Inside the Great Kitchens
Image by failing_angel
Built 1530, the kitchens would provide two meals a day for 600 members of the Tudor court.
The annual provision of meat for the Tudor court stood at 1,240 oxen, 8,200 sheep, 2,330 deer, 760 calves, 1,870 pigs and 53 wild boar [Hampton Court Palace website].
Hampton Court Palace began with Cardinal Thomas Wolsey (c.1473-1530) acquiring what was then a grange from the Order of St John (the Knights Hospitaller) in 1514 and redeveloping it as a palace. The new palace included the Base Court (which included 40 guest lodgings), and the inner Clock Court (which had state apartments for Henry VIII, Katherine of Aragon and the Princess Mary). The palace was used for hosting state functions such as diplomatic visits as well as entertainments.
In 1529 Hampton Court passed to Henry following Wolsey’s downfall, at which point Henry built upon and developed an already substantial palace. The new complex included larger kitchens, a chapel and great hall, as well as tennis courts, a bowling alley and tiltyard. Starting less than 6 months of taking possession, Henry’s works weren’t complete until 1540.
Each of Henry’s heirs stayed at Hampton Court (indeed Edward VI was born there), although only Elizabeth I made any changes and those were relatively minor; this was similar under the Stuarts, with the next changes to the palace happening with William and Mary.
Sir Christopher Wren (1632-1723) was comissioned to design a new palace, but the cost of demolishing the existing building was too prohibitive, instead the east and south sides were rebuilt.
The last phase of construction happened with the Hanoverians, with Sir John Vanbrugh (1664-1726) designing the Queen’s apartments under George I, and William Kent (c. 1685-1748) the Queen’s staircase and Cumberland Suite under George II.
The royal family left Hampton Court in 1737, after which time the palace became grace and favour apartments for a century, before being opened to the public by Queen Victoria.