A few nice best kitchen design images I found:
Hobart. The oldest Jewish synagogue in Australia built in Hobart Tasmania in 1824 in the Egyptian style by architect John Lee Archer.
Image by denisbin
In the 1830s as trade opened up in VDL the wharves were on Hunter Island, now Hunter Street. But the waters were more sheltered on the Salamanca side of the harbour so convicts were employed to mine the steep hill side, create a quarry, and built a new shore line so that deep sea facilities for ships could be provided near Salamanca. John Lee Archer was involved in this 1827 plan to re-shape Sullivans Cove which included building up soil in front of the Customs House. In the 1840s the dock facilities moved to Salamanca Place and the large warehouses were built. The apple industry used the sheds right on the wharves in the 20th century. By the 1970s the area was derelict so the Tas. government bought seven warehouses to create an arts centre in 1976. Soon the other warehouses were privately renovated into upmarket galleries, shops and cafes.
American Rebel Memorial in Princess Park.
In 1839 a number of convicts (around 160) were transported from Canada to Tasmania because they had taken part in a rebellious movement against the British Crown. They were American patriots who had crossed into Canada, but some were French prisoners from French Canada. They had an uprising, were eventually arrested and shipped to Australia but only the American rebels were offloaded in Hobart. (The French rebels were offloaded in Sydney.) They were given hard labour at Port Arthur. The society they belonged to- the Hunters Lodge – had about 20,000 members who urged the Canadians to fight the British. Seven uprisings occurred. Queen Victoria pardoned the Americans between 1844-48. Only a few stayed on in Australia. None stayed in Tasmania. Most returned to the USA.
Battery Point, Arthurs Circus, and the Lena House Hotel.
Originally guns guarded the harbour from the point, hence the name Battery. Wealthy merchants chose to live there by the 1850s with Alexander McGregor being a good example. He arrived in Hobart from Scotland in 1831.He built up a large whaling fleet and bought Lenna House site from a ship’s captain once he was wealthy. He built this grand house around 1860 with a roof top tower for watching his sailing ships come up the Derwent estuary. It is now a fine hotel, so you can walk in side and look around. Despite two marriages he had no children. Opposite the Lenna is a fine example of a wooden fancy gabled Tudor Gothic style house in Runnymede Street. At the top of Runnymede St is Arthur’s Circus- named after the Governor with its quaint cottages and large horse Chesnuts in the middle of the circus. Is this really Australia? Although in England by the time of its development, Arthur owned this land at Battery Point and sold it off for housing in 1847. The blocks around the circus were all narrow frontage, suitable for workers’ cottages. The cottages were all built around 1850. Battery Point was home to master mariners, shipwrights, seamen, fishermen, shipping agents shipbuilders and as wealthy merchants.
St Georges Anglican Church.
The story of St George’s begins in 1836 with services commencing in 1838. The church was consecrated by Bishop W. G. Broughton, the first and only Bishop of Australia. St George’s was designed in the Neo-Classical style then current in London. The only other examples of this style of church left in Australia are one in Richmond and one in Sydney. The Government architect, John Lee Archer, designed the body of the building; the tower and porch were designed by convict architect, James Blackburn. The church has an unusual layout, with two side aisles instead of a single central aisle. It still has its original cedar box pews. The Government agreed to grant convict labour, stone and timber for the church tower. Lime, lead and glass had to be provided by the church members. By 1847 the tower was finally completed, but the porch and the rooms at the basement of the tower were left unfinished. St George’s porch was not added until 1888. The stone for its fine fluted Grecian columns was quarried at Bellerive. James Blackburn (1803–1854), was a civil engineer, surveyor and architect who had been transported for forgery in 1833. He was pardoned in 1841, but continued in private practice as an architect until 1849. His work included: St Mark’s Anglican Church at Pontville (Romanesque), the Lady Franklin Museum (Grecian) and The Grange at Campbell Town (Tudor).
Narryna was built as a grand Georgian style house in 1836, one of the first on the hill at Battery Point for Captain Haig. He had built a warehouse down in Salamanca Place in 1833 and lived in that with his family whilst the house was completed. He sold it in 1842 and the property then had many different owners. It is a fine box like, very symmetrical simple Georgian house of grand proportions and constructed with first class quality sandstone. One long time resident was an early mayor of Hobart and a MP. The government bought the house as a TB hospital in 1946. It was established as Australia’s first heritage house museum in 1955.
St David’s Park.
This was originally the first Hobart graveyard, right opposite the first hospital on the corner of Salamanca Place and Davey Street. Was this a coincidence or expeditious planning? In 1926 the graveyard was converted into this park. In the centre is a fine memorial to Lieutenant Governor Collins. Some of the old headstones are now on the wall behind the Tasmanian Supreme Court. Collins you will remember was the first Lieutenant Governor of VDL and found a new mistress among the Norfolk Islanders, 16 year old Margaret Eddington. In Sydney he had had two children with Ann Yeates in the 1790s. His wife always remained in England. He had two illegitimate children with young Margaret Eddington before he died in 1810. His morals and administration were heavily criticised by the NSW Governor William Bligh.
Like a sentinel the mountain watches over the city of Hobart. It is 1,271 metres high or 4,170 feet. In winter (or even summer) it can be capped with snow. The side view from Hobart shows dolomite columns, often called the Organ Pipes. In 1798 Flinders and Bass in their circumnavigation of Tasmania called it Table Mountain. This name stuck until it was changed in 1832 to Mt Wellington to honour the Duke of Wellington’s defeat of Napoleon in 1815. The road to the summit was an employment project during the Great Depression of the 1930s.
Gamaliel Butler, a lawyer and trader (1783-1852) briefly visited Hobart in 1820 encouraged by his brother-in-law Edward Paine. Gamaliel had married Sarah Paine in 1810.Edward Paine drowned in the Derwent soon after 1820 and Butler made arrangements to emigrate with his wife in 1824. He left his six children in England. He took up land, originally granted in 1819 to Edward Paine and he acquired another land grant all at Pontville. The original part of Shene House and the kitchens were probably built in 1822 before Butler took over the property in 1824. In 1825 one of his sons, Francis an architect, designed a bigger residence. Gamaliel was admitted to the bar and mainly lived in his Battery Point residence, Stowell just behind Narryna House. His six children came out from England and another six were born during the 1830s and 1840s. One of his sons Charles ran Shene property, obtained 16 convict labourers and extended the house, built a large woolshed (1843) with his initials above the door carved in stone, and had work started on fancy Gothic style stables and haysheds. With the cessation of transportation in 1853 work on the stable stopped. Gamaliel died in 1852 (and is buried in St Mark’s Anglican cemetery in Pontville) and his wife continued to own the property until her death in 1870. In 1872 the property was auctioned and purchased by Maurice Paine, a relative. Butlers are still wealthy pastoralists and lawyers in Tasmania. At a recent Sotheby’s auction in 2009 two painted miniatures of one of Gamaliel’s sons and his wife, painted in the 1830s, were sold for 2,000.
Along the banks of the Derwent, the re-located settlers from Norfolk Island settled here in 1807. Some had been members of the 1788 first fleet to Botany Bay. Nine “first fleeters” are buried in the Methodist Chapel in New Norfolk. The town has one of Australia’s oldest Anglican Churches, St Matthews built in 1823 and the oldest continuously licensed pub, the Old Bush Inn Hotel, first licensed in 1815. ( The oldest existing church in Australia is St Matthew’s Anglican at Windsor designed by convict architect Francis Greenway and opened for services in 1820. St John’s of Parramatta opened in 1819 but was demolished and re-built in 1852. St Luke’s of Liverpool opened in 1824 as did St James of King Street, Sydney).
The area, especially Ellendale near Mt Field, produces much of Australia’s hop crop. One old oast house for drying the hops is now a café on the outskirts of New Norfolk. Hops were taken to VDL by Paterson to the Launceston district in 1804 but hops were not successfully grown on a commercial basis until 1816 and harvested in 1818.Hops were not grown for brewers until 1829. Governor Arthur gave land grants of 200 acres to men willing to grow hops commercially. The hop industry was well established by the 1840s. Local industries today include a nearby salmon hatchery and since 1941 newspaper pulp mills. In the 1920s wooden cloths pegs were made here too! Timber felling is still an industry in the district, as is antiques and tourism.
Leeds Castle 22-04-2012
Image by Karen Roe
“The Loveliest Castle in the World”
Set in 500 acres of beautiful parkland. Bring the whole family to Leeds Castle with your Key to the Castle ticket and journey through 900 years of captivating history. Open all year round, there is something for everyone to enjoy.
The Below Stairs Tour – A brand new tour for 2012 shows areas of Leeds Castle not usually on show, telling the stories of the servants who once worked here in the late 1930s. Get closer to the stories of the house by joining an expert guide who will escort you through the hidden treasures of the magnificent rooms of the castle, as well as some areas not normally open to visitors, including the State and Battlement bedrooms on the upper floors.
Park and Gardens – During your visit to Leeds Castle, enjoy the fresh air and stroll through the beautiful grounds of the park estate.
The Cascade Garden – The garden that gives you your first view of Leeds Castle, with its beautiful water cascade falling from the Cedar Pond.
The Wood Garden – In spring, the Wood Garden alongside the River Len is a particularly lovely way to approach the castle. Its carpet of Daffodils, Narcissi and Anemones presents a vibrant burst of colour. Later in the year, the visitor is treated to the splendor of Azaleas and Rhododendrons.
The Culpeper Garden – Named after the family who owned Leeds Castle in the 17th century; the Culpeper Garden was originally the site of the castle’s kitchen garden. During Lady Baillie’s ownership it became a cut flower garden, but in 1980 garden designer Russell Page transformed it into a large cottage garden. With its informal layout and low box hedges as a border this very English garden features Roses, Lupins, Poppies and Lads’ Love, with exotic blooms mixed in to create a profusion of colour and scent.
The Lady Baillie Garden – Designed by the landscape architect, Christopher Carter, on the site of Lady Baillie’s original aviary the garden is a favourite destination for visitors to the castle. With its south facing aspect and Mediterranean style, visitors can relax and enjoy superb views across the Great Water.