A few nice best kitchen design images I found:
RHS Chelsea Flower Show 2012
Image by Karen Roe
The Westland Magical Garden
Sponsored by Westland Horticulture
Silver Gilt medal winner
Designed by Diarmuid Gavin
Built by Dermot Kerins & Gerry Conneely
The Westland Magical Garden is a retreat for garden lovers, a green plot in the city for planting fruit, vegetables, shrubs, herbaceous perennials and seasonal flowers in containers. The garden is pyramid-shaped and comprises seven terraces of planting at different levels.
Trees (including birch trees) grow upright in multi-level planting boxes linking the terraces together, alongside trailing climbers that have been released from their trellis and bamboo canes.
The ground-level section is a shaded garden with formal, elegant planting including ferns, hostas and clipped Buxus sempervirens in terracotta urns. A staircase and elevator provide transport to the higher terraces, while a stainless tubular slide offers the opportunity of a rapid and adventurous descent.
The design is enhanced by a series of garden buildings, from humble sheds to greenhouses.
Access is by a central lift manned by a bellboy kitted out ‘1920s New York Style’.
Level 1 – 16 x 16m plot with ferns, hostas, astilbes, ivy and clipped common box. Plants include bamboo, Epimedium and Hosta.
Level 2 – Japanese pavilion with dwarf pines, Japanese maples and bamboo. Plants include Buxus and Betula nigra.
Level 3 – Plants include Rhyncospermum jasminoides and Amelanchiers.
Level 4 – Victorian greenhouse, outdoor dining room and outdoor kitchen. Plants include a variety of vegetables.
Level 5 – A shower and bath, complete with solar-powered hot water. Shade provided by a cabbage tree and Chinese windmill palm. It has a tubular slide that brings you back to earth in 20 seconds. Plants include Water Lilies.
Level 6 – ‘Bohemia at its best’ – a place to chill, complete with colourful hammocks. Plants include Betulia albosinensis.
Level 7 – Plants include Wallichiana pines and Alchemilla mollis.
The Chelsea Flower Show has been held in the grounds of the Chelsea Hospital every year since 1913, apart from gaps during the two World Wars.
It used to be Britain’s largest flower show (it has now been overtaken by Hampton Court), but is still the most prestigious. From the beginning it has contained both nursery exhibits and model gardens. Every year there have been exhibits from foreign countries as well as from Britain.
It is the flower show most associated with the Royal family, who attend the opening day every year.
Whatever you love about gardening, there’s something for you at this year’s RHS Chelsea Flower Show.
‘Fresh’ is a brand new area that includes modern, inventive gardens with new design ideas, along with tradestands offering ingenious new products.
3d floor detail – looking N across back lawn – Woodrow Wilson House – Washington DC – 2013-09-15
Image by Tim Evanson
Looking north across the lawn at the third floor of the Woodrow Wilson House — 2340 S Street NW in Washington, D.C., in the United States.
The Georgian Revival house was built in 1915 by Henry Parker Fairbanks, a Boston businessman and carpet industry lobbyist, and designed by celebrated architect Waddy Wood. It’s not clear who chose the architectural details of the facade, but Wood appears to have designed them by trying to harmonize his design with the six or seven houses (several designed by legendary architect John Russell Pope) in the area. As Woodrow Wilson’s second term as president came to an end, he and his wife (Edith Bolling Galt Wilson) decided to stay in Washington, D.C. They began looking for a property, and after looking at a number of properties as well as considering whether to build a house, they settled on the Fairbanks property. Mrs. Wilson’s endless negotiations over price nearly lost them the house, but President Wilson intervened and personally brought the purchase to a close. Wilson’s presidency ended on March 4, 1921, and he moved into this house with his wife and two servants. Crippled by the 1919 stroke that ended his presidency, Wilson died in the house on February 3, 1924. Edith Wilson continued to live in the house until her death on December 28, 1961.
After the Wilsons moved in, they had a garage built to the west of the house on half a lot. A rooftop patio existed on top of the brick garage, surrounded by a low brick wall. Most of the wall next to the house on the north side was not brick, however, but a concrete balustrade designed to look like turned granite.
The garden appears to be level with the second floor in the rear, and slightly sunken. This is incorrect. In fact, the garden is level with the first floor. Between the house and the garden is a four-foot-wide, uncovered servants’ trench. Accessed from the kitchen, one goes to the right and may access the garage through a door. Accessed from what was the servants’ hall, one goes to the left, and may access the garden via a narrow, steep set of steps with a return. The portico covers the area where the two trenches meet. This is half as wide as the main trenches, and accessible from the storeroom that connects the kitchen with the servants’ hall.
An eight foot high retaining wall holds back the built-up garden, which is brought level with the second floor of the house. A semi-circular landing is half-covered by a columned, quarter-moon wood canopy shaped and painted to look like white marble. A low, turned-wood balustrade is pierced by an open exit to the garden. A green striped awning extends from the canopy over the rest of the landing. The top of the canopy serves as the floor of the third-floor balcony.
Three slight steps of concrete brings the visitor down to the upper terrace of the garden. This area is as wide as the house and aligned with it, and about 14 feet deep. Boxwood hedges hide the brick walls to the right and left. A crab apple tree helps provide shade to the right. To the far right and far left four somewhat steep and narrow flagstone steps lead down to the mid-level terrace. The south edge of the upper terrace is concealed by ground-hugging juniper and ivy although the slightly projecting central overlook is kept free of plantings to preserve the north-south view.
The mid-level terrace runs around all four edges of the central, lower terrace. The western part of the mid-level terrace is dominated by a white mulberry, bitternut hickory, and bushes. The north, east, and south edges are grass. Two steep flagstone steps provide access to the lower terrace. These steps are in the center of the north, east, and south, and a cruciform flagstone path (now largely overgrown by grass) exists in the center of the lower terrace to link these steps. A fountain formerly stood in the center of the lower terrace, but its catchbasin has been replaced by plantings and the fountain by a stone sculpture of a child with a flute.
The southwest corner of the mid-level terrace contains a quarter-turned set of flagstone and concrete steps that leads to a piercing in the retaining wall to a southern lower terrace. This area is now blocked off to visitors, and the terrace overgrown with weeds and vines. Yet another retainining wall access and more steps lead to a sub-terrace, from which a landing and two steps lead to Decatur Place NW. Access from Decatur Place is blocked off as well.
Waddy Wood designed the layout of the terraced garden, but it is not clear who designed the plantings. It is known that Mrs. Wilson planted a number of magnolia trees here after she moved in, but none of these have survived. The garden was restored in 1996 to its historic condition by landscape architect David Bennett of HOH Associates in Alexandria, Virginia. Most of the existing plantings are hollies and yews, with a maple, hickory, cypress, winterberry, cedar, apple oak, hemlock, and pagodatree scattered here and there.